The bout served as the featured contest of Sunday’s Submission Underground 13, which streamed live on UFC Fight Pass from a converted grain silo in Oregon without fans present as a safety precaution due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.
Jones dropped to guard in the opening seconds of the matchup, initially latching on to Magalhaes’ left leg. Jones then went belly down while attacking the heel, but Magalhaes somehow worked free from an incredibly deep attempt, then went after his opponent’s legs to force a scramble. Jones pulled free, and the two reset on the feet.
Jones went to his back again on the restart, and there were a few odd moments as the two paused to speak while working on the floor. With microphones not quite picking up the conversation, it was difficult to understand the context, though it would become apparent shortly after. Jones continued to attack the left leg as the action resumed, though he would again occasionally stop and gesture toward Magalhaes inquisitively.
Eventually, it became clear that the earlier heel hook had caused some damage to Magalhaes left leg, possibly dislocating the ankle, and after some pressing, he eventually relented, leading to a verbal submission due to injury at the 4:21 mark of the contest.
In the night’s co-main event, Bellator welterweight Austin Vanderford earned a surprising and quite impressive win over 10th Planet standout Richie Martinez.
Martinez showed his trademark trickiness early, using rubber guard to isolate his opponent’s right arm, but a few rapid-fire rolls saw an alert Vanderford slip out to safety. Once recovered, Vanderford did his best to try and work past his opponent’s guard, once forcing a brief timeout after accidentally striking Martinez’s face as he looked to dive past the legs. In the end, Martinez’s threatening guard made it tough for Vanderford to stay engaged, and the five-minute regulation ended as a stalemate.
In overtime, Vanderford set the tone with an incredibly quick escape from an armbar in the opening frame. Martinez responded in fine fashion, but his escape from back control was clearly much longer than his opponent’s work.
In the second overtime, Martinez started in back control, but as he transitioned to an armbar attempt, Vanderford again escaped in shockingly quick fashion. With momentum clearly in his fashion, Vanderford started on the back but locked in an arm-triangle choke as Martinez looked to spin inside. Vanderford sold out on the squeeze, and he earned the submission from a frustrated Martinez.
In the night’s first main-card contest, RFA and LFA veteran middleweight Gabriel Checco submitted longtime UFC welterweight contender Jake Ellenberger via reverse triangle choke.
- Craig Jones def. Vinny Magalhaes via verbal submission (injury) – Regulation, 4:21
- Austin Vanderford def. Richie Martinez via submission (arm-triangle choke) – Overtime 2, 0:44
- Gabriel Checco def. Jake Ellenberger via submission (reverse triangle choke) – Regulation, 1:52
- Ethan Crelinsten def. Andrew Alexander via submission (rear-naked choke) – Overtime 1, 1:00
- Don Stoner def. Alex Larmey via escape time – Full time
- Joe Baize def. Nicholas Maximov via submission (heel hook) – Regulation, 2:31
- Cris Lencioni def. Gabriel Austin Daffron via escape time – Full time
- Charlie Gilpin def. Jake Smith via submission (kimura) – Regulation, 1:38
- Eric McConico def. George Martinez via submission (armbar) – Overtime 1, 0:04
- Cody Kenaga def. Jake Hargis via submission (toe hold) – Regulation, 2:06